Saturday 30 January 2010

It's Finally Over

Hi there!!

I guess most of you guys are probably aware that the reason I have not been updating my blog for the past 2 weeks is due to the exams. Now, I have just finished my semester 3 exams on yesterday's afternoon. It was a difficult period of time that I have to go through as a student. Full of sheer stress and endless efforts of revision. But, what lies in the past, stays in the past and we do not have any power to change it. Let's just pray that everything will turn out alright and hope for the best when the results will be announced on February.

The recent semester test that I just had is considered as a tough one by all medical student for generations. The questions are regarding neurology, which is the main topic for my semester. Neurology is a branch of medicine with full of hypotheses, theoretical facts, and assumptions by some of the most prominent neurologists. How our brain actually works is still a mystery that is yet to unveil itself. There are still thousands of research that is still being done to uncover the real truth about the ability of brain.

Ok, enough of all the gibberish medical talk. I just want to highlight that due to many research that has been done about the brain, the implications are that there are many theories about how the brain works. And as a medical student, we are expected to know about all of these 'theories and assumption' to be tested in the exams. Thus, my mind is overloaded by facts from neurology textbooks written by Bear, Titus, Crossman and Martini. Alhamdulillah it's now over and I can feel like the heavy burden inside of me has been lifted.

What makes the exam for this semester more difficult is that there was also an OSCE. OSCE stands for Objective Structured Clinical Examination. The name itself is self-explainatory - this is a practical hands-on exam, not a written exams. I was tested on clinical examinations regarding neurology as well such as the use of opthalmoscope, otoscope, cranial nerves testing, tendon reflexes and electromyography (EMG).

For the OSCE, I have been practicing a lot at Qoma's house with my competent comrades. We practiced day and night, focusing more on the skills that we expected would come out. A day before the OSCE, we practiced from 4 pm in the afternoon till 12 midnight. I felt extremely exhausted but it was really beneficial because with more practice, confidence will build up gradually. With this, I offer my profound thanks to all second year medics for their help and support.

Apart from the MCQ exams and OSCE, there was also the anatomy spot test. I had to cover anatomy for the head, neck and also the lower limb. I'm quite ok with the lower limb, but the head and neck is really a mind-blowing one. Before this, I never knew that the neck contains so much stuff. It is a really complex organ of the body as many nerves, blood vessels, muscles and organs are located there. I hope I did well for the head and neck station in anatomy.

In all, the important thing is that we, the second year medics have finished the exams in one piece. I believe we have prepared enough before the exams, and we have performed very well during the exams. I prayed that all of us will get good results and may we become a succesful doctors in the future.


No comments: