Sunday 4 April 2010

Gelato Or Ice Cream?

Some of you guys might have already knew that I was on a trip to Italy for the past 8 days with one of my course mates and two new-found friends. How was the trip? it was a blast! We went to all of the interesting cities and places that Italy could offer. However, exciting details of the trip will be written in the next entry as I am extremely tired right now due to the long-hours of walking during the trip and I really need a good rest now, badly.

But, in this auspicious time of the day, I decided to spend some time to write on one particular detail that we really loved in Italy - Gelato! OK, I know most of you guys out there do not know what Gelato is. And maybe some of you never even heard of that word before. Now, let me explain it here.

Gelato is actually Italy's own version of ice cream. And yes, therefore it is only available in Italy and any other versions of Gelatos outside Italy will not taste the same. It's not the same as the ice cream that you guys had in Moonlight or Treats. The difference between Gelato and normal ice cream that we can find in supermarkets is that they are very silky in terms of texture, much softer and smoother and it comes in a wide variety of flavours, even the ones that you never imagined!

The most common flavours that I can find in Italy are chocolate, fruits salad, caramel, milk, yoghurt, vanilla, strawberry, coffee, and mint. There's even some shops that has after eight-flavoured gelato! I know my housemates would love to get a taste on one of those.

Everytime we went into a Gelato shop or kiosk, we would buy different flavours from one another and then we would compared it among us. I tried all of the flavours and they were some that I like the most. One of my favourites is the fruits salad gelato. It is made by mixing all types of fruit to get that exquisite sour and fresh taste. Shahira likes to try all sorts of flavours and I think she really likes the caramel and mint ones. And she would always be the last one to finish her Gelato because she loves to savour it thoroughly and slowly. Mayura's favourite Gelato in Italy was the yoghurt-flavoured gelato. People who knew Mayura really well would know why she loved that flavour. :p And Fiqah's favourite Gelato was the Amanera (cherry-flavoured).

The price of Gelato varies between places. The cheapest one that we had were in Venice which only costs about 1.30 Euros. And the most expensive one that we could find was in Rome which is 3 Euros for only one scoop! It was really disappointing for us as well because it was difficult for us to find a Gelato shop in Rome, considering that it is the main attractive place in Italy.

If I counted it correctly, I think I had about 7 Gelatos in total during my whole stay in Italy. But it's still could not match the Gelato-fanatic like Mayura who had 9 Gelatos in 8 days!

Shahira and I with our last Gelato that we had at the airport

Mayura and Fiqah at the airport

I really missed all of the Gelatos that we had in Italy. It was well-worth the money and I hope that someday I could make my own Gelato and savour it till the last bit!

2 comments:

SoFiE HanNa said...

hehee~ni mst teringin nk mkn sbb tgk sy mkn ice-cream smlm kn :P

Faiz Fauzi said...

btol3...awk buat sy teringin mkn ice cream...sy terus gi kedai and abeskn ice cream separuh bekas tu dlm sehari..hehe